MIBF, or the Manila International Book Fair, is the country’s biggest and longest running book fair that usually happens in mid-September. As per usual, I am a relative n00b to this, and only attended it for the first time in 2013. A sort-of mistake, because I didn’t bring a lot of moolah with me so I failed buying more books. (Then again, that might have been a very wise move.) I did come home with three new books and I was happy and content with them. If I have read all three is another matter altogether.
This year, I got to attend the 36th MIBF as an author. No, really. I had to sit down and read those words from a friend’s Facebook post and realized it was true for me too, and the feeling is unbelievable. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t get a book signing session or people following me around asking to take pictures. I didn’t even actually sell books in the traditional sense, nor did I participate in any talk or seminar about writing. Nope. None of that . . . BUT!!! those are my future goals.
So what did I do, you ask? Well, I . . .
- Reacquainted myself with Filipino publications, especially those outside my genre, by walking through the different booths and browsing their selections.
- Donated a couple of old books for a library and exchanged them for #BuqoYA bundles I haven’t read yet.
- SIDENOTE: A total of 489 books (novels, textbooks, even comic books) were donated. These books will be distributed to different libraries in Mariveles and Binondo.
- Hung out at the Buqo booth for long stretches of time, which was really convenient because all the walking can really take its toll on you, especially when you’re lugging a bag of books.
- Bought new books by fellow Filipina writers and got some of them signed too! (Thank you Agay, Mina, and Edith!) It was just too bad I wasn’t there when Kate Evangelista signed her books!)
- Met other Buqo workshoppers and got to take pictures and chat with them, if only for a little while.
- “Gave away” freebies to any book donors who chose the Buqo bundle I belong to (#StrangeLit #KillerSeasons REPRESENT!)
- Gave away promo codes to my book Paper Planes Back Home too, in the form of cute little bookmarks.
- Had lively, oftentimes non-sequitur chats with author friends, new or otherwise. (We have set goals, people. Just watch out for them! :P)
^ This was Ariel’s idea. All three of us were at the booth Thursday afternoon, and he saw us holding each of our books so he suddenly said we should take a picture. Teehee. #LookAtThisLegitness
^ First day haul, AKA the reason why my wallet is on a diet right now. I am currently in the middle of reading Once Upon a Player by Agay Llanera right now, but I had to pause because bundle review priorities.
^ Sunday haul, AKA the reason why my wallet is on a diet right now, part deux. My heart may be happy, but my wallet is screaming at me. I’m sorry, my dear.
The #ClingyCrew + Six. Love the cropping work in this photo, heh. <3
Aaaaand that’s it! I am so looking forward to reading all the books I managed to take home, and for next year’s MIBF! But before that, there’s the FilReaderCon event in November, and I gotta see that for myself too!